Texture and jetway problem  [SOLVED]

Official Support Forum
benh
New Zealand

Texture and jetway problem

Post by benh » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:53 pm

I've installed KDEN for P3Dv4.5 and found very strange ground texture. There are also no jetways.

I don't have any global mesh or ground texture add-ons; only REX SkyForce 3D, this (or ActiveSky, I forget which) requires P3D to run in administrator mode. Haven't seen anything like this before.

Thanks
Ben

SammyH
United States of America

Re: Texture and jetway problem

Post by SammyH » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:45 pm

Ben, welcome. I cannot see the texture issue, if you could please reupload the photo using our photo tool here in the forums. Go to the full editor & preview button and once in that screen use the attachment selection. This will allow me to click on the photo to make it bigger.

As for the Jetways, have you installed the SODE program into your sim? If not that would explain it, you can go to the link below to download and install.
https://sode.12bpilot.ch/
Sammy Holmes
Flightbeam Staff

i7-8700K Coffee Lake 4.80GHz - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 - 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (4x8GB) - GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 - EVGA 80+ Gold 1000 Watt PSU - Windows 10 Pro - Thermaltake Liquid Cooling - 1TB SSD - P3Dv4.5

benh
New Zealand

Post by benh » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Fixed the jetway problem - thanks.

The ground textures appear very strange, not like anything I have seen in my 16 years of FS experience. The green grass is far too bleached, there are those funny puddles on the ramp area, and uneven taxiway textures.

They look significantly different than the comparison in the previews:

I do not have this problem at any other addon airports (such as Aerosoft LHR or FSDreamTeam).

I'd like to get some more airports while 40% off but I'm not overly keen given the above.

SammyH
United States of America

Post by SammyH » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pm

What season do you have selected in the Flightbeam Manager. This can be very different based off seasons. Denver is one of those areas that you see it all at. Try changing your season and see then what it looks like.

I will look into the ramp stuff when I get done my flight online. It is not uncommon to see uneven ramp textures as many airports do patch work, repaves etc as they wear down over the years. Most scenery developers just make everything look pristine and new where we like to implement the wear and tear.

Are you running any programs that change ramp textures such as REX?

Also, for the textures around the field if you have ORBX installed you can run the ORBX texture pack to better match the surroundings. Just look at the photo I posted below and you can see the drastic differences in the texture sets with and without the ORBX Texture pack.
DEN.png
How long have you been using P3D?
Sammy Holmes
Flightbeam Staff

i7-8700K Coffee Lake 4.80GHz - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 - 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series (4x8GB) - GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 - EVGA 80+ Gold 1000 Watt PSU - Windows 10 Pro - Thermaltake Liquid Cooling - 1TB SSD - P3Dv4.5

benh
New Zealand

Post by benh » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:28 am

I had the summer textures loaded; I selected fall and spring and the same problem occurs. Winter works perfectly - looks entirely normal. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

Don't worry about the puddles; I saw they were an optional feature that was enabled.

I've been using P3D for about two years now.

I don't have any terrain mesh or global texture addons.

As you can see from this video of KDEN the ground textures shouldn't look as they do for me with the ghastly looking uneven blocks and bright bleaching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eJrWMCA0Do

I'm very reluctant to buy any other FB airports to "test" them out.

SammyH
United States of America

Re: Texture and jetway problem  [SOLVED]

Post by SammyH » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:53 am

Ben, by you not using any add-ons it makes perfect sense why your terrain textures look the way they do. As I showed in my previous image the difference between default and the Global texture pack. Default FSX/P3D imagery looks just the way your image appears.

Now onto the thing you seem to be hitting on which is the pavement at the airport. I explained why it looks the way it does and it is perfectly normal to look that way, unless you have a program such as REX which changes or alters how some airport pavements look.

To breakdown the video you sent me, look at all the Add-ons being used in that video which can be seen just under the video by hitting the "show more" option. Main reason I say that is he is using REX and ORBX which are two programs I mentioned that alter things. Even with all those Add-ons I can point out many instances in the video that show the exact same textures on the ramp as you are seeing. For instance time stamp the video to 31 seconds and look at the ramp in the top right corner just to the left of the building, you will see the bleached look. At the 54 second mark you can see the entire taxiway is a different color than the area right next to it. Even more evident is at the 57 second point top right corner next to the tower is the exact same ramp you have a photo of (second photo in your last post) and you can see it looks exactly the same as yours does. Another final one is the 1:35 mark where the 747 is taxiing into the gate, look at the ramp behind the plane, again same thing.

I am not sure what else I can do for you as the ramp is exactly how it should look. Again, airports do upgrades, build new terminals, repave certain areas on the airport all the time, they do not do the entire airport so you are going to see "Patch work" all over the place. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, most of the developers in the sim community do not simulate what the "real state" of an airport ramp is like. They usually make them flawless like new and that just is not realistic.

Hopefully, this explanation is a bit more clear and gives you a better understanding of how we create our products. We shoot for realism to the best of our ability because that is what most want is the immersion of it all. I am sorry you are disappointed with the real look. I have attached a few Real World photos of the Denver ramp specifically highlighting areas you have taken photos of in your sim, as you can see there is little to no differences between them.

(click on photos to make them larger)
1.jpg
2.jpg
Last but not least, that video was done in 2016 on FSX, so to compare how FSX and P3Dv4 look would be silly. The graphics engines and how things are rendered between the two are night and day not to include the overall appearances out of the box. (just a thought)
Sammy Holmes
Flightbeam Staff